Trishna’s oldest sister, Sammohini or “Sam” for short, is the first character that I’ll be developing organically within “The Story.” This will help flesh out their world, too, since it is essentially a reskin of our reality. Originally, Trishna was just going to have an older brother, Lance, but eventually that morphed into Sam and her older brother, and second oldest sibling overall, Fearghal.
Sammohini’s arc is my first practice run for “The Story.”
Sam has some inspiration from my life and the lives of other career professionals. I’ve, at times, lifted straight from my experiences, however, I don’t consider Sam to be a proxy for me: her personality is based partially on me, sure, along with a handful of others. Her stories should loosely fit within “The Story,” so if there are any differences in details, then we’ll sort it out when we get there, right?
Meet the relevant characters:
- Main Characters:
- Sammohini “Sam” Lanchester-???: Hard-working, polite, but she rambles on and on. She may eventually get over this. I picked her name because it means hypnotize and looked cool.
- Samuel ???: Sam’s husband.
- Alejandría “Allie Pally” Lanchester-???: Their baby daughter.
- Side Characters:
- Jane ???: Sam’s friend from childhood. Logical and quiet. She just can’t catch a break when it comes to finding work, so though technically more capable than Sammohini, she works a warehouse job because she doesn’t have as much of a bubbly personality.
- Trishna, John, and Pollyanna: They might appear as background characters.
- Eville Medical Team/Coworkers:
- Linda Mutiger: Sam’s manager. She manages the more customer-facing teams. Former military. Actively in a sobriety program to balance the need for career success with the need to stay afloat.
- Lisa: Linda’s manager and the director of the department. “The Big Boss,” so to speak. Alliterative on purpose. I’ve worked under two bosses with the same give name. Writers avoid alliteration at the expense of reality to be nice to their readers; you’ll get unfiltered reality from me.
- Eville Medical Customers:
- Dr. Florigen: Clutter-minded pathologist.
- Other folks:
- Tia: Sharp, fast-talking advertiser. She gets along well with Sam.
- Other employees:
- Janitorial staff and other people Sam may meet.
- The Consulting Agency Staff:
- Addison: Director of Human Resources.
- Fidelity: Account manager that worked directly with Linda to find new contractors.
- Steve: Loser project manager. No one likes working with him.
- Chris: Recruiter.
- Ricca: Recruiter. Jane’s rude recruiter.
- Sneaker-Wiles-Scribe Transportation Team/Coworkers:
- Jim: Jane’s coworker doing driving/warehouse work. Has a daughter around Jane’s age. Supports Jane’s career ambitions and covers for her job hunting.
List of stories. Listed (and written) in chronological order, unless otherwise noted:
- “Tia’s Business Meeting” – The prequel. No Sam.
- This is before Sam started working at Eville Medical.
- “The Gig Life VII” – Sam helps out Tia.
- “The Gig Grind” – Linda has a crappy commute.
- “Dreaming of Data” – Sam is a devoted employee.
- “It Concerns Me” – Sam has two pivotal exchanges.
- “Words Mean Nothing V” – Jane and Fidelity talk about employment opportunities.
- “Honorary Technician Award” – Sam provides encouraging words.
- “Meeting With Us” – Jane has an unfortunately negative interview.
- “Career Mishap Trilogy I” – Jane has an unfortunately positive interview.
- “Career Mishap Trilogy II” – Jane just can’t catch a break.
- “Career Mishap Trilogy III”