It’s been close to a year now of weekly fitness updates, originally just purely essays and now featuring some technical or somewhat anecdotal fitness information, and I can now officially say that I’m regularly and comfortably tightening my belt loop one loop! I used the previous loop basically as long as I’ve has this belt, other than my 6 month, 60 pound weight loss period, along with its surrounding months, so it’s a huge achievement for me!
- My Weekly Stats:
- Tuesday 27 Morning: time 5min, 151 rows. Couldn’t factor in my stretch routine before this set, so I just did some kicks and touched my toes standing straight a few times. Also rowed more like I was doing bicep curls [which I’ll also need to study more]. That kept me on a good pace.
- Tuesday 27 Bonus: Light walking while doing errands, nothing fancy, just a long day.
- Tuesday 27 Evening: 164 rows. Experimenting with my form has led me to become interested in bicep curls. Even these strokes alone were enough to wear out these muscles, so I should get in more practice. Went leg then arm muscles this time. Maybe I’ll try just arms only?
- Wednesday 28 Morning: time 5min, 138 rows. A bicep curl-centric set. After the buzzer, I went ahead and went up to 150 with my feet not strapped in for additional practice. It’s fun going out and trying new techniques after having found my rhythm for so many months now. Gotta mix it up!
- Wednesday 28 Bonus: More light walking.
- Wednesday 28 Evening: time 5min, 170 rows. Really went to town on the biceps this time, holding my arms steady and letting my legs push me back first, then pulling the bar. I know soon I’ll want to try out more specific exercises. Maybe I’ll introduce some routines on lighter weekends?
- Thursday 01 Morning: time 5min, 165 rows. Overdid it, sure, but it felt so good getting in the reps. I tried doing bicep curls while doing my regular form for my legs and just blasted through this good set. Except at 31, when my right arm got tired. Switched it up and got back to it!
- Thursday 01 Bonus: No additional exercise…
- Thursday 01 Evening: time 5min, 172 rows. The natural inclination, after wading through an added one hour to the carpool through the 10-mile Seattle traffic backup caused by one vehicle, would be to skip exercise. Only because of illness or injury, not because of excuses. Good set.
- Friday 02 Morning: time 5min, 150 rows. Woke up refreshed after reduced sleep; it’s the adrenaline that’ll wear off soon. The bicep curls are turning out well, though I’ve reached to point where I need to study the form to make sure I’m doing it correctly. Nice, light set overall.
- Friday 02 Bonus: No additional exercise…
- Friday 02 Evening: time 5min, 170 rows. A solid 4-hour nap helps every aspect of the grind. Not much you can do if you’ve got obligations. The discipline rowing has taught me in pushing through minor aches has been paramount in my success of overcoming the minor stressors of life.
- Saturday 03 Afternoon: time 5min, 155 rows. I’m feeling more sick than I’ve felt in months. Not sure why exactly because while I’ve been pushing myself, it hasn’t been too much outside of the norm. So a light set to get the blood flowing before going back to sleep for a few more hours.
- Saturday 03 Bonus: Does the Daikaiju concert count? If not, walking to and from the venue twice at a moderate pace for 5 minutes might count for something.
- Saturday 03 Evening: time 5min, 163 rows. Between sleep and water, if I was at 25% before, I am at about 55% now. Sufficient for most tasks, excluding holding in my stomach muscles for the duration of the set and doing proper bicep curls. Just enough energy to do a little bit of both.
- Sunday 04 Morning: time 5min, 173 rows. Late set because after getting home from a Daikaiju show after 2AM, I needed to rest up. Feeling good now!! Thoroughly motivated, hydrated, and focused on bicep curls for half my set to get my arm muscles stronger. Still have to practice more.
- Sunday 04 Bonus: No additional exercise…
- Sunday 04 Evening: time 5min, 176 rows. Didn’t do everything I wanted to, but did everything I needed to do, including rubbing off the junk oil from the chain, putting on a cotton swab’s worth of 20W motor oil, and accidentally over tightening the seat’s bolts. Good set, regardless.
- Monday 05 Morning: 5min, 150 rows. Forgot to tweet out this set. I was able to get some reading/stretching in before the set and went at too fast of a pace, but it still turned out well. I was thinking midway through the day how much of a positive difference it makes to exercise.
- Monday 05 Bonus: About one hour of light city walking.
- Monday 05 Evening: time 5min, 166 rows. Lighter pace since I wanted to focus on doing under-the-bar and over-the-bar bicep curls. Did about 30 to 40 of each before changing forms, along with traditional over-the-bar pulling to get in some more proper strokes. Feeling great. Good set.
- Weight: 240.0 pounds (up 0.5 pounds)
- Liquid Consumption (my goal: >1 gallon of water [[L * 0.26417]]):
- Tuesday: 4.5 liters (1.2 gallons) of water, 1.5 liters of coffee, 0.5 liters of tea
- Wednesday: 4.5 liters (1.2 gallons) of water, 2.5 liters of coffee
- Thursday: 4.5 liters (1.2 gallons) of water, 2.5 liters of coffee
- Friday: 4.38 liters (1.1 gallons) of water, 3.0 liters of coffee
- Saturday: 4.13 liters (1.09 gallons) of water, 2.5 liters of coffee
- Sunday: 5.26 liters (1.39 gallons) of water, 1.5 liters of coffee
- Monday: 4.5 liters (1.2 gallons) of water, 2.5 liters of coffee
- Vitamins: 14 of 14
- Multivitamin; Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc; Fish Oil; Vitamin D; Vitamin E.
- Multivitamin; Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc; Fish Oil; Vitamin D; Vitamin E.
- Last Week’s Goals:
- Weight: [failed] It could have just been a half pound of water I drank last night to make sure I got my water goals squared away. It could have been a half pound of junk noodles. It could have been a half pound of peanuts I’ve been snacking upon…
- Consistency: [neutral] This one’s debatable since I’ve also been trying to read for five minutes twice daily, which hasn’t worked at all, although everything that I’ve currently got in place has been successful… so I gave myself a neutral on this one.
- Health: [succeeded] Despite feeling sick starting from Friday evening and concluding perhaps at the Daikaiju concert, I think that was mainly due to dehydration, stress, and lack of sleep. It’s funny how strongly those three really play a factor in life.
- This Week’s Goals:
- Weight: No weight gain. The trick to this one might actually be buying more diverse food, so when I feel like snacking on peanuts or snack bars, I can then make a quick meal that will sustain me longer. Fruits and veggies could fill in nicely here.
- Consistency: My fitness has been great here, it’s just adding additional routines like reading that can be tough. I’ve been thinking of including either a subsection for reading here, or an entire monthly post, to really hammer it in. We’ll see what sticks.
- Health: Sleep’s the name of this game. By the time this publishes, I’ll be nearly complete with a gig that granted me the discipline to push through fatigue and minimal sleep in order to get their work done, as well as my work in writing daily.
- From Good to Better
- Compared to months ago, and certainly years ago, to have the mental fortitude to push through fatigue to go to the concert, after being sick for the better part of a day, and certainly feeling it upon arrival, was better than before. I might’ve skipped.
- I was actually strongly whether I should or not. I did end up skipping going to the used music shop down the street, skipped getting a greasy burger and coffee because the lines were too long to wait out in the cold for one, or rather, because of fatigue.
- I learned months ago that being stuck in an indecisive analysis paralysis is one huge sign that I’m mental fatigued. I’m usually able to suss out a decision, if not instantly than after some thought, unless I’d rather go sleep for 8 hours or something.
- Sober Living
- Spilled beer, obnoxious people drinking, and someone spinning an open beer can around to splash beer on everyone, including my jacket? That’s more common in the smaller dive bar venues than the larger venues. Particularly noticeable this time.
- Along with some dude that was obviously carrying a lot of cannabis in his backpack. That’s what’s funny about this area. Everyone considers WAC 314.11.015 3(g) to be an open pass to be disrespectful toward everyone else. Everyone’s down for pot, right?
- With crowded standing room only, I had no choice but to smell enough of the cannabis-filled air to have it normalize, which probably made for a more relaxing and enjoyable evening, but certainly doesn’t help my case of trying to live sober.
- Confronting Cortisol Circumstances
- My biggest stressor, actually, was not being able to get enough time in the morning to fully wake up, write, and prepare for the day. I can have functional days without building up that mental fortitude. It just helps enough to notice the difference.
- Driving into work twice was stressful enough without the traffic. At least I didn’t have to wade through the hour delay because someone’s landscaping trailer caught on fire at the worst possible point. I’ll add extra time to my commute to avoid traffic.
- Everything else becomes easier once you’ve eliminated or mitigated the impact of physical stress on your life. Taking a cue from Maslow’s hierarchy of needs, the less you worry about your physiology, safety, and self, the more you can self-actualize.
- Disengaging from Stress
- Some of my antics involve killing my ego, since I’ve found I get too uppity about trying to present myself with a certain level of quality. If, instead, I wear a clown nose while talking to someone, it’s like saying “let’s disengage from stress a little.”
- No gaming progress on Harvest Moon: More Friends of Mineral Town. The strategy guide I found last week was too much of a diary about the author than actual gameplay content, and more so, the GameBoy Advance’s backlight is terrible at best.
- Speaking [earlier] of indecisive analysis paralysis, another aspect to that fatigue indicator is writing. If I don’t feel like writing even these casual sentences, then I should either sleep or go through some of my backlog of stuff to watch. It helps.
- Rowing Machine Maintenance
- I was talking about maintenance routines last week, and had been considering how I want to go about my plans for doing that. I’ve noticed that cleaning the junk oil from the rowing machine’s chain has been the most helpful, so I’ll do that weekly now.
- Here’s my process: drag some tissues across the chain to grab the biggest chunks, drag some cotton swabs to grab the smaller chunks, pour a little 20-weight motor oil into the “oil pan,” soak up a cotton swab or two, and drag those along until bored.
- I also accidentally over-tightened the bolts on my seat, so I’ll be looking into replacement parts for the rubber washer… just in case. Though I don’t think I broke it irreplaceably, it certainly was tightened down more than it should have been.
- Photo and Outro
- The idea for the photo came along after the opening paragraph about tightening my belt loop. I wanted to include my belt, the rowing machine, and some recurring characters including the Wii Fit Trainer Amiibo. The first draft is shown below.
- While it would have been nicer if I could have aligned the photo to be more straight on, or have a solid background like an anti-fatigue mat or carpet instead of concrete, I still like how the photo turned out. Kind of like Johnny 5 from Short Circuit.
- Good week in fitness overall. Got in some good sets, didn’t skip any sets, and tried to improve in some subtle areas by reading to disengage from stress, and remembered for the thousandth time the value of sleep. Just gotta eat and sleep better next week.