Compared to the mad rush to lose weight I had in my mid-20s, which saw me burn off 60 pounds 6 months, my main focus now is general health. Improving my diet. Increasing my mobility, flexibility, and overall endurance. I’ve been feeling better in some areas, while feeling more fatigued in other areas. Despite of all this hard work, even burning 136 (or 33+28+24+24+27) calories on a new rowing machine doesn’t feel like that much progress. Fitness ain’t easy.
I’ve forgotten how visceral fitness can be: I’ve been feeling like throwing up for the last two hours now. Now that’s thinking with your gut.
As I was musing last week, tracking my rowing stats so closely has helped gauge my overall energy levels. I haven’t been rowing at the same level as some of my best times, though they have been overall alright. I think I’ll stick to 5 minute sets. Once the morning warm-up and afternoon and/or evening sets show consistent improvement, then I’ll move onto the 10 and 20 minute sets. Maybe throw an occasional hour long set just for fun?
- My Weekly Stats:
- Wednesday Morning: skipped morning
- Wednesday Bonus: time 5min+20sec. 1-70, good, kinda rough. Fixed my shoe. 71-98, good. Stop. 99-200 better, still a little rough. More sleep?
- Wednesday Evening: feeling ill
- Thursday Morning: feeling ill
- Thursday Bonus: time 5min. 1-65, good rows. Pause. 66-76, better. Hard stop. 77-102, good. 103-160, slower, steadier. 1054 m, 34 spm, 28 cal.
- Thursday Evening: feeling sick
- Friday Morning: almost overslept
- Friday Bonus: time 5min. 1-40 rows in 1 minute. Pause. 41-63, OK. Hard stopped. 64-95, good. 96-140, better. 34 spm, burned 24 calories.
- Friday Evening: skipped rowing
- Saturday Morning: sick day
- Saturday Evening: sick day
- Sunday Morning: sick day
- Sunday Evening: sick day
- Monday Morning: time 5min. If I exercise in the morning, I’m exhausted during the day. But if I stretch? 50 light rows, then back stretches.
- Monday Bonus: time 5min. 1-61, good rows. 62-91, slow. Went too hard with 92. 93-102, OK. 103-136 slower. 29 spm. 24 calories. 911 meters.
- Monday Evening: time 5min. 161 boring rows. No real narrative, no pauses or stops, just mild rowing. Still kinda sick; better than last week.
- Tuesday Morning: time 5min. The “50 light rows in the morning then stretch” idea was one of my better ideas this year. Back and legs are good!
- Tuesday Bonus: time 5min. Let out all of today’s stresses between 1-61 rows. Pause. 62-82, good. 83-158 were laborious with frequent pauses.
- Tuesday Evening: sick evening
- Vitamins: 5 of 14
- Weight: 255.8 pounds
- Take all my vitamins
- Not skipping a day
- Not skipping a set
- Maybe burning off some weight?
Or maybe I shouldn’t be too ambitious?
I haven’t been able to get as much sleep as I probably should. I’m not going to compromise my goals in order to even achieve temporary comfort. So it might just be a matter of finding some balance and maybe trying to make more concentrated efforts to relax or at least rest my eyes throughout the day? That might help. It’s like the lobster analogy: you don’t know you’re anxious until you’re already stressed out.
I’ve been frequently waking up at night lately.
That’s probably not helpful.