My original plans for this year-end series shattered, so, instead, I’ll do more impromptu recap into 2021. The original plan was going to be more researched, through, and maybe even broadcast live, but instead, I’ll refer to memory and some of my own personal highlights. I might dig into some lows, but primarily, I want to focus on how I’ve bettered myself in positive, non-narcissistic ways, so that way I can continue improving and helping into 2022.
I am sometimes asked where to start with writing, whether it’s writing prompts or ways to get more marketable for writing, and my current answer is to write reviews. This may change, but review writing has all of the foundations of writing whatever you want to any solid degree: you have to write convincingly, have a solid argument, and particularly when you find contention against the norm, you have to be able to defend yourself.
I’ve been thinking about balance lately. I define balance as keeping multiple responsibilities, tasks, hobbies, and personas equalized. None should carelessly take priority over another in a priority hierarchy. After the broadcast I did yesterday, where I talked about some numbers, I rolled around this idea about how some broadcasters I’ve encountered are only after their numbers. So I said something. If this makes my broadcasting persona less popular, there are still myriad other personas.
If I were to summarize the 2020 albums as I heard them, as I did in 2018, even though everything went to shit, at least we got some good music in many genres. The year started off like any other, with my earlier meandry reviews implying a mindset of getting out in life more to random concerts and such, but after COVID closed concerts and my health problems, well, at least I heard 193 good albums released in 2020.
If I have any chance of writing “The Story,” I need to consider spending more time writing fiction and less time on things that create friction against my ability to write fiction. It seems easy spending my time doing what I love and not what I don’t… right? Within impractical applications, that means dedicating one month to writing Novel 01 only. With practical considerations, that means removing distractions to write Novel 02 at a more leisurely pace.
I slowly walked up the ramp to the post office with my two canes to collect a package. Someone held the door open and asked:
“Just getting back on your feet?”
“Well, keep on walking! Every day!”
It’s been nice and encouraging that strangers, even during a pandemic, have been offering to help open or hold doors for me. Another stranger did the same thing the last time I went to the post office.
As a writing koan, which came first: the typo or the fix? Although we want to rely on spellcheckers, they might not catch when the mind goes in wild. During my writing meandry for S&M2, for my 2020 Album Review Game, I wrote: “While I give out forty 5-star ratings to albums….” Correction: “While I have given out forty albums 5-star ratings as of late 2020…” Would it have been a problem had I not caught it?
Today on my 2020 Album Review Game, I had my perceptions challenged twice. The first, which is where we’ll start, was more innocent. A friend of mine had formed a similar opinion to mine and from there, I started writing about the dangers of nostalgia. When we form some opinions, they’re based around the circumstances of that time. There’s a common notion that I hate: Albums with only one good track? Why bother with albums anymore?
Thirty days ago, I realized I needed to reorganize my album tagging system to better systematically listen through the 5,811 albums I’ve specifically decided I’d like to listen to for the first time. This number excludes relistening to any of the 7,736 albums I’ve already heard and rated. What’s the point of doing all that? When my life is chaotic, I find data management like tagging, organizing, or otherwise making sense of the world to be calming.
There are achievements in videogames that I don’t have the nerves to attain. Whether there are platforms I don’t have the patience to precisely jump on, given tens or hundreds of jumps, shots that I don’t have the patience to execute, or other examples, I want to casually meander through 80% of media to comprehensively meander through the remaining 20% of media. A casual rule of thumb might be: I’ll give up after 10 attempts in an 80% media.