[The Story] Marketing and Advertising

“You should go to some meetups to talk with writers.[1]” I later thought about how I could advertise “The Story.” I’ve found that when I’ve told people that I’m writing fiction, their interest is piqued, but without anything substantial written – besides the Sammohini Arc – the conversations drift off. Although every update like this helps get me closer to telling John [left] and Trishna’s [right] story, now, I have something tangible to show that I’m serious.

Spoilers?: None (advertising influencing content)

I ordered 500 of these business cards for less than $20.

They turned out well! The idea stirred to life thanks to the conversation that included the introductory quote. It might not have happened, however, if not for a lingering sense that I should do something similar to when I handed out business cards for my old business, or more accurately, as part of marketing we did at one helpdesk gig I worked for years ago. We had a competition and not only did I hand out more business cards, I learned the value of handing out feelies.

These business cards will help with 20% of “The Story.”

The idea, based on the Pareto Principle, is that for any concept to be successful, 20% of the effort should be applied to advertising the concept, with the remaining 80% of the effort applied toward making the product as good as it can be made. If you’re studying to be a programmer, 80% of your job is being/becoming a great programmer, with the remaining 20% showing that you are a great programmer.

That’s the marketing and advertising of your craft.

You may have written the best stories in the world, may have developed the most effective code to save the most amount of time for someone, but if no one can read those stories or use those tools, then how good are they… really? Word of mouth only works so far. That’s where believing in yourself enough to shop your product around to higher bidders can be beneficial, especially when you know your end goals. Why not do whatever you can to encourage people to believe in you, too?

That’s where the feelies come into play.

Now, when I chat with people about my writing, and later when I go to writing or creative meet-ups, I’ll have something compact to show people my writing intents. Considering past conversations, I’ve attracted the most interest when I’ve told people I write fiction – rather than esoteric essays about self-confidence, for example – why not have a business card to show what I’m telling them about? Since they can’t physically interact with the John and Trishna minifigs, this is a good alternative.

Plus, they only cost about 3 cents each!

It’ll be worth much more than that when, during a meaningful conversation, I unobtrusively hand out a card, which might guide the conversation into brainstorming ideas that could build or improve “The Story.” That could seem annoying. I’d like to focus on the positive:

An easy way to market and advertise on my own terms.

Quotes: [1] Ryan, a friend of the website.
Sources: The Story’s Imaginarium.
Inspirations: Explained in-line. I went with this photo because it captures a particular mood with John and Trishna petting Pollyanna, shows the characters clearly, and might be my favorite photo of the power couple thus far.
Related: Essays building “The Story.”
Above: The finished product compared to the real deal.
Below: The first draft.
Written On: August 1st [1 hour]
Last Edited: August 21st [1 hour – I ended up trashing most of the 337 words I wrote since it wasn’t that coherent, but at least I tried, which counts, perhaps…]

My big goal is writing. My most important goal is writing "The Story." All other goals should work toward that central goal. My proudest moment is the most recent time I overcame some fear, which should have been today. I'm a better zombie than I was yesterday. I'm not better than you and you're not better than me. Let's strive to be better every day.